Monday, January 21, 2008

Why do I vote pro-choice?

Why do I vote pro-choice?

A candidate’s stance on abortion tells me a great deal about whether or not the candidate values women. If a politician values a potential life more than s/he values the life and needs of an actual living woman, that person does not value women.

Pregnancy is not a petty inconvenience. It often caries life long consequences, and yes, women do still die in childbirth. Even if I would die without it, I cannot force another person to donate a pint of blood. The risk of death from a blood donation is nearly zero for anyone not in the poorest of health. Yet anti-choicer’s would force women to surrender their whole body for the use of another. This only make sense if you do not value women.

Why would I vote against my own interests by voting for an anti-choice candidate? Yes, abortion does trump other issues. If a politician does not have a strong pro-choice record, then our world view are too far apart for that politician to ever represent my interests.

No comments: